Sunday 1 February 2015

Will it take my husband 28 minutes to make  pancakes for breakfast? And will I write something sensible in that time?
What's on my mind? From a teaching perspective it's been a challenging week.
All of a sudden I seemed to look at my class with fresh eyes.  We are at that point in the school year when I am beginning to pull the scaffolding out from under these adorable little 6 and 7 year olds.  How much confidence in their own abilities have they gained?  How well can they apply their skills in a more self reliant way?  How can they gain from each other - can they ask the right questions, can they listen effectively, are they willing to try and try again?
We implemented SCATT this year in our school to encourage collaboration and independence.   If a child can't move forward on a work assignment they they should

S - stop
C - check, look around, what are others doing?
A - ask quietly within their group
T - try again
T - finally approach the teacher

It works - I could see that this week.  All around me are independent, curious and engaged children.  Mostly.
There are a number of children not benefrfiting.  Perhaps they have concentration challenges, speech and language issues or learning styles completely outside of that they are experiencing in the classroom.
They are happy kids, I make time for them but not the amount they need.  They have acquired some skills but have many more to hone.
But they still skip into the classroom every day so we have some key building blocks in place.
I must make sure I look at these children in particular with fresh eyes every day for the rest of chips school year, draft, redraft, edit and re edit their individual plans.
It is a good place to be. I just hope I can find the time!
Into this rather philosophical mix intruded the more immediate global world.  We had some, older, internet abusers.  Probably done for a laugh, from what they thought was the safety of their own bedroom, but none the less nasty and very hurtful.
Twenty or so hours of forensic trawling, checking and cross referencing the IP addresses of the many 10 to 12 year olds in our school who regularly, and to great purpose, use this site .....and yes, I nailed it!
The main achievement has not been to dig out the culprits, important as that is.  It is that they now know that the internet is not the anonymous place they thought it was and, yes, greying teachers can find their way about it most effectively!
What will next week bring?
Well, for the moment here come the pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment